Sunday 4 April 2021

NaPoWriMo Day 4 - "Renovations"

Today's prompt:

In honor of the always-becoming nature of poetry, I challenge you today to select a photograph from the perpetually disconcerting @SpaceLiminalBot, and write a poem inspired by one of these odd, in-transition spaces. Will you pick the empty mall food court? The vending machine near the back entrance to the high school gym? The swimming pool at what seems to be M.C. Escher’s alpine retreat? No matter what neglected or eerie space you choose, I hope its oddness tugs at the place in your mind and heart where poems are made.

This was another interesting prompt as it gives me a chance to evaluate something visual as per the early bird poem. I have chosen a picture that maybe looks a little hopeless and forlorn, a little how I feel myself - but perhaps there is some hope in it. Anyway, here's the poem:

I am in need of renovation
Of resurgence
My mood is run down
Puddled and chipped away
But unlike that building
I still remain open
    
    (Though I wish I could repair myself in peace
    Rebuild my mind in solitude)

I am on a busy thoroughfare
I am still play centre, restaurant
Library and office
Lights remain on. though dimmed
Through dusty windows
I see hope in that picture
That improvements will be made
    
    (Scaffolding can be erected
    And the sun sparkle once again)

I am in transition
Between darkness and light
Between night and day
Movement is slow, painful even
But I will manage
And inch by inch
I will be ready to welcome the world again



No comments:

Post a Comment