Friday 9 April 2021

NaPoWriMo Day 9 - "Toddler To-Do"

Today's  prompt:

Our (optional) prompt for the day is to write a poem in the form of a “to-do list.” The fun of this prompt is to make it the “to-do list” of an unusual person or character. For example, what’s on the Tooth Fairy’s to-do list? Or on the to-do list of Genghis Khan? Of a housefly? Your list can be a mix of extremely boring things and wild things. For example, maybe Santa Claus needs to order his elves to make 7 million animatronic Baby Yoda dolls, to have his hat dry-cleaned to get off all the soot it picked up last December, and to get his head electrician to change out the sparkplugs on Rudolph’s nose.

Well, as I sit at my desk to work I see my 1 year old constantly walking up and down and getting into mischief. So that had to be my inspiration to go with today's prompt. I quite enjoyed this one, and it made me think a lot about how much toddler's repeat their actions during the day and how they flit from one thing to another. Here's the poem:

I'll look through the glass
Check out the trains
Shriek and steam up
The window panes

I'll bend to the floor
Pick up a book
Tear out a page
Without taking a look

I'll climb up the sofa
Fall down with a thump
Howl for a second
To make my Dad jump

I'll go to my cars
And have a little play
Fiddle with the sockets
Until I'm hauled away

Toddle up and down
To the window again
A squirrel, a cat
Then another train

Pick up a book
Or maybe a block
Chew at a toy
Then pull at my socks

I'll wait until Mum
Has a hot cup of tea
Then squat for a poo
And maybe a pee

Back to the window
Sofa once more
Slide off backwards
Down to the floor

Now I'll have a snack
And I'll feel quite sleepy
Whine for a bit
Get happy, then weepy

Oh! It's time for my nap
So I'll pick up a pot
Swap for my cuddly
And lay down in my cot.

No comments:

Post a Comment