Sunday 11 April 2021

NaPoWriMo Day 11 - "Vampires"

Today's prompt:

And now for our (optional) prompt. This is a twist on a prompt offered by Kay Gabriel during a meeting she facilitated at the Poetry Project last year. Today, I’d like to challenge you to write a two-part poem, in the form of an exchange of letters. The first stanza (or part) should be in the form of a letter that you write either to yourself or to a famous fictional or historical person. The second part should be the letter you receive in response. These can be as short or long as you like, in the form of prose poems, or with line breaks – and of course, the subject matter of the letters is totally up to you.

At first this prompt struggled to get me going, but once I settled on who I might write to, then I got a bit more inspired. I couldn't really think of anyone real to write to...I'm not really one to be interested in celebrity or to have anyone as a hero, so I tried to come with someone fictional. The only character that really felt interested to me, was Buffy. So here is my letter and response from Buffy, the Vampire Slayer:

Buffy
Help me
I've got vampires here aplenty
Their perfectly smitten
The population bitten
Sucked dry and not-so-gently
Slayer
May ya
Come over and say Hey ya
Give them the stake
Like a piece of cake
The vamp to dust conveyor

Sorry, got a demon to kill
Always a laugh in Sunnydale
Else I'd say "Yes I will"
I'll send you a stake in the mail
Oh, Holy Water too
That really is a vampire bane
And also I'd suggest to you
Get a cross hung on a chain
You know, you're probably screwed
And, this gives me the wiggins to say
I hope that you won't think me rude
If I'm the one to dust you someday

No comments:

Post a Comment