Thursday 15 April 2021

NaPoWriMo Day 15 - "Joking"

The prompt:

And now for our prompt (optional, as always). Today’s prompt comes to us from Juan Martinez. It asks you to think about a small habit you picked up from one of your parents, and then to write a piece that explores an early memory of your parent engaged in that habit, before shifting into writing about yourself engaging in the same habit.

I struggled with this prompt at first, as I could not think of any real habits that my parents had, let alone one that I could pick up from them. It took a few hours of not thinking before I realised that something I share with my dad is the ability to come up with jokes or puns about pretty much anything and in any situation. So here's the poem:

My Dad has a joke
For just about any situation
One's that he's heard
Or puns off the cuff
And the puns are not puny
I do the same
It can lighten a mood
But it is also defensive; a shield
If they laugh at the joke
They are not noticing me
The real me
I can hide outside a conversation
Until a joke presents itself
But I never present myself
I wonder if he does the same..?

No comments:

Post a Comment