Friday 2 April 2021

NaPoWriMo Day 2 - "World"

Today's prompt:

In the world of well-known poems, maybe there’s no gem quite so hoary as Robert Frost’s “The Road Not Taken.” Today, I’d like to challenge you to write a poem about your own road not taken – about a choice of yours that has “made all the difference,” and what might have happened had you made a different choice.

This was a tough prompt as it is very easy for me look back and wonder what if about all sorts of choices that I have made in life. But I guess one watershed was when I left a steady job to spend a few months travelling across Canada. It gave me confidence in a way that I find hard to explain, but it definitely gave me a different viewpoint on life and the world. Here's the poem:

Would I have known a river
If I had not seen those falls
Tumbling, rushing, cascading water
A deafening roar in my ears

Would I understand the land
If I had not seen that expanse
Flat, featureless, a home to crops
A sunset that warmed my eyes

Could I contemplate a hill
If I had not seen those mountains
Snow-capped, rugged, majestically rising
A view thrilling to my eyes

Would I have seen the woods
If I had not walked those forests
Dappled and dense, trees tall and strong
A fresh resin scent in my nose

Could I have gained a friendship
If I had not met those people
Friendly, welcoming, eager to chat
Filling a place in my heart

Would I have known the world
If I had not taken a chance
Was I brave or stupid, I didn't know
But wisdom fills my senses now

No comments:

Post a Comment