Tuesday 6 April 2021

NaPoWriMo Day 6 - "Questions"

Today's prompt:

Finally, here’s our daily (optional) prompt. Our prompt yesterday asked you to take inspiration from another poem, and today’s continues in the same vein. This prompt, which comes from Holly Lyn Walrath, is pretty simple. As she explains it here:

Go to a book you love. Find a short line that strikes you. Make that line the title of your poem. Write a poem inspired by the line. Then, after you’ve finished, change the title completely.

I have to say that this was a bit of a tricky prompt. We don't have a huge amount of books at home, as we tend to borrow from the library. We have far more children's books than adult books and so I chose one of those, one of the favourites in the house, "Superworm", but I won't tell you the line that I chose as I think it somewhat defeats the object. Anyway, here's the poem:

I stopped believing in the magic
I grew up and it went away
The world became hard and real
There was nothing to do or say

As if the spark was bundled up
And chucked into the bin
Wizards, witches, all the spells
The hope that lay within

But I was mistaken, it was always there
And I'd just failed to see
All of the amazing things
That this fantastic world could be

The magic is now rekindled
Right there, in my children's eyes
In all of their questions
The what's, the where's, the why's

No comments:

Post a Comment