Sunday 2 June 2019

Day at the Museum



I recently took my eldest to the Natural History Museum (for the second time). She had an interest in dinosaurs a year ago, but it has grown stronger over the last year. However, the funny thing is that her fascination has rekindled the love of dinosaurs that I had when I was a child. I can't help but wondering if this is something that other parents have noticed when their kids start taking interest in something that they loved as children?


They have a great bit in the museum where you can look at and handle real fossils, bones, animal skins and shells, and the people help out by asking questions. They also don't provide the answers, so they just let the kids think about it, using their natural inquisitiveness to bring out good ways of thinking. Here, my daughter showed off her dinosaur knowledge of Stegosaurus (her favourite) and Spinosaurus.


We also saw a great show about oceans, the creatures that live in them, and how we have to look after our environment to ensure that animals survive. We also saw Sophie the Stegosaurus and had a good look around the dinosaur gallery, where again my daughter showed she had more knowledge about dinosaurs than some of the other kids there.


She was also thrilled to see Andy's clock from Andy's Dinosaur Adventures and Andy's Prehistoric Adventures (both Cbeebies programmes).


Anyway, all this dinosaur stuff has inspired a dinosaur poem:


In the morning I trapped a Velociraptor
While on my way to work
It caught its claws
In the closing doors
And the train driver went beserk

Later my tour bus was a Brachiosaurus
And I sat astride its neck
Standing tall
At the palace wall
We made the Queen a nervous wreck

I practiced judo kicks with Archeopteryx
In the local park
With feathers flapping
And sharp beak snapping
All the dogs began to bark

Then I foiled a con with Iguanadon
We came to an old man’s aid
The thief he paled
At the thumb spike wailed
And fell to the floor and prayed

I planted crops with Triceratops
When the farmer was unwell
He used his horns
To dig out the thorns
But his dung made an awful smell

I taught some phonics with a Baryonyx
At one of the local schools
But parents complained
That it hadn’t been trained
And must be against the rules

I rowed the Isis with some Coelophysis
Though they struggled with the oars
But as a team
They picked up steam
And we won the coxless fours

No comments:

Post a Comment